Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Revisiting the 90,000 Questions of Summer

One great thing about writing a weekly column for ten years is that I did so when my kids were growing up.  It's almost like I have a weekly summation of what was going on during those ten years since I did write a lot about parenting. 

Now that both of my boys are in the Navy and in their 20s, these summer days seem like a lifetime ago.  I don't necessarily miss those long days of summer, but I can read this and fondly remember. 
 
 
90,000 Questions of Summer   

As a child, summer vacation seemed to last an eternity.  While I wasn’t anxious to get back to the books and the teachers, it didn’t seem like the carefree summer would ever end.  

It’s one thing that has remained the same.  Summer break still feels like the longest three months of the year.   It isn’t that I don’t love my children, but I dread summer vacation.   

I’m not some ungrateful shrew who can’t stand kids, but it takes time to adjust to no longer having quiet time, Monday-Friday, from 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.  This quiet time is replaced with constant interaction until the end of August.  

I’ve read that the average four year-old will ask 437 questions a day.  What the statistic didn’t note was that they don’t stop asking that many questions, and as they grow older, they ask even more.  

With each day of summer vacation, approximately 1,000 questions are posed to me in one day.  When the sun starts to rise, and I haven’t had my coffee, they begin: 

What’s for breakfast?  Why don’t you ever buy good cereal?  Who ate my favorite cereal?  Can I go out to play?  Why can’t I go out at 6:00 a.m.?  Can I ride my bike?  Can I ride my bike on the highway?  Then can I ride my bike to Grandma’s?   

Can I get the hose out?  Are we going swimming today?  How do you know it’s going to storm?  What happens if you swim while there’s lightning?  Does getting struck by lightning hurt?  How do you die?  Did the dog die from lightning?  If I dug him up, would he still have fur and bones?  What does “morbid” mean?   

It’s guaranteed there are always lunchtime questions: 

What are we having for lunch?  Is there anything I like?  Do we have any of those little things?  You know, those one things?  Why don’t you ever buy me anything I like?  Why did you get that kind of mustard?  Is this bologna really made from pig lips and snouts?  Are you going to make something I don’t like for dinner too?   

After I’ve sent them outside to play, and they’ve had all the brotherly love they can stand: 

Why did I have to have a brother?  Why wasn’t I an only child?  Do you love him more?  Doesn’t he ever get in trouble?  If I put him in a big box, would the mail truck take him away to China?  Are there really kids starving there?  Can we go wrestle on the trampoline?  Does a broken leg hurt?  Why do you always tell us you aren’t in the mood for spending the day in the emergency room? Are you going to tell Daddy what we did today?   

By afternoon, they take full advantage of the plethora of information that is their mother:   

Can I give the cat a bath?  Why not?  Why don’t cats like water?  Have you ever given a cat a bath?  Didn’t you tell me that you did once?  What would happen if I gave the cat a bath?  How would my eyeballs get scratched out?  Would the scratches bleed?  Would the cat really run away?  Do you have to get stitches if a cat bites you?  Can you get rabies from a cat?  How do you know cats don’t like water? 

Would the dog like to go for a ride on a motorcycle?  How about the go-kart?  What if I went really slow and put him in a seatbelt?  Could he wear a helmet?  Do they make helmets for dogs?  Can you kill flowers by peeing on them?  How come dogs can go to the bathroom outside then?  Could dogs wear diapers if they wanted to?  Would they bite me if I tried to put a diaper on one?  How many days is grounded for a month?   

The inquisitive little boogers are still at it even at bedtime:   

Do I have to go to bed?  Why do I have to go to bed when I’m not tired?  What if I can’t go to sleep?  What if I stayed up all night?  Are you feeling all right, Mommy?  Why do you make a funny face like you are growling?  What’s high blood pressure mean?  Why do you tell us cussing is bad when you just said a bad word?   

I seem to have all the answers, but just one question.  How many days until school starts? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment