Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Little Aspirin for my Roseanne Barr Syndrome


“Do we have anything that remotely resembles ibuprofen?” the youngest kid asked.  And yes, he really did pose the question as such.  I think mainly because I’ve spoken to both of the kids like they were little humans from birth and not cutesy-poopsy, brainless baby blobs.  I have encouraged that one speaks like they were somewhat intelligent beings.  

He was standing in front of the kitchen cupboard where medication has been housed for longer than I’ve been alive.  It’s the same cupboard where my grandma stored the Vicks Formula 44-D, Tums, and Alka-Seltzer.  He might as well have been speaking Greek, though, because it didn't register in my brain what he was asking. 

“Huh?” I so eloquently inquired. 

I’ve noticed as I’ve gotten older, that is as I’ve spent more than forty years on this planet, that often times I mishear things.  Mostly it’s when I’m only half paying attention.  Commercials on TV are the worst.  I’ve looked up to the screen convinced that they’re selling singing penis covers when what they’ve really said is something about Cingular cell service. 

I don’t know.  Things start knocking around in the synapses in a way they didn’t used to, and it makes for some strange conclusions that I draw.  I bet it’s a lot like having dementia except I still have the ability to pause and asked what the hell and analyze the situation before being convinced that Bob Barker just was on the TV telling me he now works for Roto-Rooter. 

The kid once again repeated his request.  “I. Bu. Pro. Fen.  Do. We. Have. Any?” 

Recently, I started taking Topamax for a bevy of muscle/Fibromyalgia issues.  I won’t get into the tiring details of such.  It’s nothing life-threatening.  A huge pain in the, well, muscles, but nothing I can’t deal with.  However, one of the side effects of this medication for some people is that it purportedly can make you dumber than a box of rocks.  As evidenced by the above example, one might assume that my kids have already put me into that category even though I haven’t shared with them the potential side effects.

“No, sorry.  We’re out.  Take some aspirin,” I suggested, which I don’t believe I’d ever done.  Mainly because I knew there was some reason that youngins’ shouldn’t take aspirin.  I attempted to explain it was okay that he took the aspirin now because he is 19 years old, and I didn’t think he was at risk to develop whatever syndrome it was. 

“What syndrome?” he asked. 

Did I mention one of the other side effects of Topamax is aphasia?  Aphasia is the difficulty remembering words that you’re needing while speaking or writing.  When it strikes, I don’t think a thesaurus can come to your aid.  It’s like losing the total ability to even describe what it is you mean.  Say for example you want to say apple.  It’s like you no longer know it’s a red roundish fruit that has seeds, grows on a tree, and was planted by Johnny Appleseed.  It can also cause you to replace strange words in place of what you really meant to say. 

“Oh, I don’t remember.  There were signs up all over the place in the drug store when I was 19ish or so warning about this syndrome.  It had something to do with flu type symptoms.  Maybe the chicken pox. It was kind of weird because all we took was aspirin back in the day.  Nothing better than a chewable baby aspirin.  Now those things tasted good.  And grape Dimetapp?  No one complained about having to take a spoonful of that when you were sick.”

He continued to give me this blank look, waiting for me to make my point, or remember if he took aspirin at that moment would it land him in the hospital with some sort of tropical disease that could be prevented if his mother could remember some important information about why kids shouldn’t take aspirin.

“Just take it.  You’ll be fine.” 

I guess he figured since 19 years had passed and he was still alive that I could be trusted. 

The train of thought continued in my head: 

Epstein Barr syndrome? 

Raymond Burr syndrome? 

Roseanne Barr syndrome? 

I did finally discover it was Reye’s syndrome once my head cleared a little and I was able to formulate a Google search with appropriate terms to convey what I was trying to figure out.

Though, that Roseanne Barr syndrome – I think I’ve made a self-diagnosis.

Am I sometimes inclined to offer inappropriate, unladylike gestures?  Yes.

Do I live in a household where the mess should be excused because we live here, the children aren’t perfect, and problems aren’t always solved in a half hours’ time?  Yes.

Have I ever felt that I live on a nut farm or should be?  Yes.

Have I ever defined myself as a domestic goddess?  Yes. 

Have I ever felt if my kids are still alive when my husband gets home from work that I’ve done my job?  Yes. 

I’m no doctor, but I suspect I don't suffer from Roseanne Barr syndrome alone.   

I've created a fan page on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelly-Coleman-Potter/212737235506584 , if you're inclined to click like. Share with your friends and I'll be eternally grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment