Monday, April 7, 2014

Deserting the desert for home

Today, my husband and I celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary.  In celebration, here's an excerpt from my book, Four Eyes Were Never Better Than Two...and other observations. 


There’s something to be said for being young and in love.   

I could have been in the Arctic and it wouldn’t have mattered to me.  North Pole, South Pole, or Outer Mongolia - the destination didn’t matter.  I was eager to start my life with my soon-to-be husband who was in the Army stationed at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona.    

After driving 35 hours straight with my brother and his friend who were 18 years old at the time, I arrived at my new home in the middle of the night.  Separated only one month, I didn’t care that local stores sold t-shirts that said, “Sierra Vista, 14 miles from hell.”  Of course, I wouldn’t realize that the t-shirts weren’t kidding until the next morning when the sun rose. 

As I headed out the door to get something out of the van that night, he scared me to death when he yelled, “Don’t go outside without shoes on!”   

I stopped dead in my tracks.  Snakes?  Scorpions?  Toe-eating desert denizens?  As it turned out, sand burrs were the reason.  Picture a cocklebur with very sturdy, unforgiving thorns.  I was raised in Indiana.  While I hate to fuel the myth about barefooted hillbillies, I never wear shoes unless I am leaving the house with the intention of getting into the car.  But, the sand burrs made mosquitoes, poison ivy, and other bothersome weeds seem like nothing.   

Later, I only had to extract one from my foot before I relented.  Shoes were a desert requirement.  This made my feet sad.  One of my husband’s favorite claims is that he bought me my first pair of shoes since I’m a Hoosier and all and still look for the outhouse sometimes because indoor plumbing is a novelty to me.  In actuality, I started wearing the shoes I already owned because sand burrs weren’t the most pleasant thing to pull out of the bottom of my feet.  The brown blades of grass were the equivalent to strolling on a bed of razor blades, too.  Shoes were a necessity.  I felt sorry for a region whose inhabitants never realized the divine feeling of shade grass beneath the bare feet and between the toes.  I can’t imagine missing out on the ritual of sitting under a tree in the grass with a couple friends talking.  In AZ, one’s rump would not be forgiving.   

When the bright Arizona sun rose that next morning, not only did it illuminate the sky, but also my view of where I was going to spend the next three years.  I didn’t cry, but I think it was because I was experiencing some sort of climate shock and my tear ducts had yet to adjust.



  My view when I woke up the next morning.  I suppose it could have been worse, but I sure never got used to seeing mountains.  Indiana is rather flat.

 

My husband rented a house trailer before my arrival.  Buena Vista was the name of the trailer park.  The name translates into “Good Vista.”  Vista according to Webster’s:  a distant view through or along an avenue or opening; an extensive mental view (as over a stretch of time or a series of events). 

 



  The blazing hot concrete patio was often covered with the tiniest grasshoppers I've ever seen.  I'm surprised they didn't cook on it.  "I'm sorry, I can't leave because I'm being holed up in my home because of a grasshopper militia."

 

What an extensive mental view of the first place we lived together as husband and wife it’s left me.  I didn’t realize how bad Buena Vista really was back then.  It’s a very good thing I thrived on the newness of being in love because it is not some place I would return to willingly.     

My first question once I walked out the door the next morning was, “Why is the grass brown?” 

 “You have to water it,” he said.  “Except during monsoon season when it rains every day for a month.”   

During monsoon season, it was 120 degrees in the shade with 100% humidity.  Also, these rains washed the snakes out of the mountains into the valley where we lived.  Also, bears and mountain lions.  Well, if the National Guard that came down for their two-week training didn’t scare the latter out of the mountains.  I was hardly surprised when animal control extracted a brown bear from a tree around the corner.  When a nearby neighbor stepped on a rattlesnake as she went to her next door neighbor’s house to borrow sugar (honest to goodness, you can’t make things like that up) and was whisked off to the E.R., I treaded lightly and considered getting some combat boots as a precautionary measure.   

It did not take long for homesickness to set in.  The only friend I felt like I had was the maintenance man.  Heaven knows we saw enough of him between plugged toilets, swamp coolers that blew hot air, and gas leaks.  Swamp coolers, I learned, put moisture into the air.  I didn’t know what it was supposed to do.  I only knew it blew hot outside air at about 70 mph down that trailer’s hallway.  Sure, if I stood in the hallway, it blew the sweat off my forehead as it beaded.  They aren’t kidding when they say it’s hot in the desert and that it’s a dry heat.  It was often hard to tell that I’d sweated at all, except when signs of dehydration started to set in.  Apparently, our swamp cooler was not putting moisture into the air, hence the reason for the cyclone of hot air.  Once repaired, it helped cool things down a bit.  Except during monsoon season because the air was already full of moisture. 

Buena Vista wasn’t so muy buena.  After the plus sign appeared on a pregnancy test, we put in for on-post housing.  Thankfully, we didn’t have to wait long to move.  I didn’t care where it was.  We could have been in the middle of the firing range, and it had to have been better than Buena Vista and the trailer from the late 60s.  I didn’t miss my neighbors to our right who seemed to have some sort of communal living thing going on.  I bid a final farewell to the ones whose bedroom butted up to our bedroom at the end of the trailer after many sleepless nights of overhearing their fights and making calls to the police.   

Back home, I had friends and family.  There, I knew next to no one except a German girl across the street.  Sometimes her English left a lot to be desired, but we both were pregnant at the same time, so we bonded over that.  She didn’t seem very homesick.  I was so sad, and jealous, when they were being transferred and she went back home to Germany.  I missed sitting around in a group with her and her German friends while they all spoke their native tongue.  I missed being told, “Stick around us long enough, and you’ll be fluent in German.”  The only thing I was fluent in – counting down how many days we had left in the desert. 


I felt as lonely as this lone cactus somewhere on the route to Nogales, Mexico.

 

August 30, 1992 was our departure date.  I do often wonder how different it might have been if technology was then what it is now.  Back then, there was no such thing as email, text messages, or even free long distance.  Maybe email existed somewhere at that time, but I hadn’t heard of it.  I anxiously answered the phone those days as quickly as I could with the hopes of speaking to someone back home calling to chat.  I relied heavily on letter writing, which I loved, so that was one of the few advantages of living in the dark ages pre-Internet and free long distance.   

I suppose many sit around and have a good chuckle over the first place they lived when starting out.  While I think back and grimace, I do know there was one positive thing about the experience.  If our marriage survived Buena Vista, it can survive anything.   

The decision to leave Arizona brought about our first fight as husband and wife.  “You can stay,” I told my husband who’d been offered a civilian job there.  “The baby and I are going home to IN.”  It was a promise, not a threat, and he knew it.   

Several times a year, he reminds how close he’d be to retirement.  When the wind chill is below zero and the snow flies, he tells me it’s all my fault that we still aren’t in AZ where it doesn’t snow enough to count and you can celebrate Christmas in short sleeves.  I don’t take it personally, and seldom do I come close to having any regrets.  We’ve been back in IN for over twenty years now.  I must concur with the infamous words of Dorothy, there is no place like home.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment